Scholarships and tuition fee allowances are available to graduate students on a selective and competitive basis. The University also supports graduate students in their research through grants for conference attendance, fieldwork, reading groups and overseas educational programmes such as summer schools and summer research programmes.
Below we highlight some of the main forms of funding and financial aid available to MA by Research and PhD students. There is less funding available for MA by Coursework students.
The following scholarships are available to PhD students:
- Dean's PhD Fellowship
- Lee Kong Chian Graduate Scholarship
- President's Graduate Fellowship
- NUS Research Scholarship
- Harvard-Yenching Institute (HYI)-NUS Joint Scholarship Programme
Masters by Research
- Masters by Research students can apply for the Tuition Fee Allowance/Waiver.
- Students who are admitted into the Masters by Research programme may be offered a teaching assistantship at the discretion of the Faculty. Students will be considered for these assistantships and need not apply for them.
Other Financial Assistance for Graduate Students
The following grants are also available to support graduate students in their research:
- Travel Grant for Conference Attendance
Full-time graduate research students can apply for partial financial support for their paper presentations at international and local conferences.
- Graduate Research Support Scheme (GRSS)
The GRSS provides funding support for students to conduct fieldwork directly related to their Masters or PhD.
- Overseas Educational Programme (OEP)
Graduate students can apply for financial assistance to attend overseas educational programmes (OEP) such as summer schools and summer research programmes. However, please note that this funding is entirely discretionary and does not represent a funding entitlement.