In school and at JC, you were learning how to use the English Language fluently and accurately. English Language at NUS is really English Linguistics. Linguistics is the study of how language works, both as a social and a mental phenomenon. On EL1101E, for instance, we will be exploring questions like
- What exactly is language?
- Why are there so many different languages?
- How do languages arise, develop and die?
- How do human beings acquire language?
- What do individuals & societies use language for?
Some of our elective modules include: Language and the Internet; Language and the Workplace; Psycholinguistics; Bilingualism; English as a World Language; Media, Discourse and Society; and, Language, Gender and Text.