Frequently Asked Questions


  • 1. I heard that FASS is a 4-year programme. Is it true?

    Students admitted into the FASS can decide if they wish to pursue the Bachelor's or Honours programme. A Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree usually takes 3 years to complete, while the Honours degree will take an additional year.
  • 2. How does the FASS system work? E.g. What is the difference between modules, departments and courses?

    Departments offer courses of studies leading to degrees. A course of study is made up of many modules. A module covers a specific topic within a course of study.
  • 3. What are the requirements I have to fulfill in order to graduate?

    For B.A., students have to accumulate 120 MC (about 30 modules) over 3 years. For a Honours degree, students have to accumulate 160 MC (about 38 modules) over 4 years.
  • 4. What is the FASS timetable like?

    Lectures are usually 2 hours long. Tutorials or Discussion Groups can be 1 hour per week or 2 hours on alternative weeks. A normal workload consists of 5 modules per semester which average a total of 15 contact hours per week. The rest of the time is spent on readings and other preparatory work, as well as on assignments like term papers and project work.

  • 5. Are there any internships/attachments within the curriculum?

    Currently, compulsory internships/attachments are applicable to students majoring in Communications and New Media and Social Work. Other majors e.g. Political Science, Theatre Studies and Economics, have internship/attachment arrangements on a voluntary basis.
  • 6. I have heard about a new module registration system. What is it about?

    The new module registration system is called Modreg. Details of Modreg may be found at the Module Registration at Educations Records System (ModReg@EduRec) page.

  • 7. What are my chances of majoring in Economics/Psychology as I heard that these are popular subjects in the FASS?

    Entry requirements for specific majors apply. Prospective students who would like to major in Psychology at NUS have to meet the pre-requisites for Psychology and obtain a grade of B- or better for the PL1101E module and a grade of B- or better for the PL2131 module. Admission requirements for Philosophy, Politics, and Economics (PPE) may be found HERE. It is true that Economics and Psychology are popular subjects and that competition for Psychology modules is very keen.
  • 8. Do we need to decide on which major to take now? How do we go about choosing our majors in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences?

    No, you do not have to decide on your major now. You are strongly encouraged to take the exposure modules before deciding on your major, in Semester 2 at the earliest. You may be pleased to know that as an incoming first-year FASS student, you will be invited to indicate your preferred majors so that the corresponding exposure modules will be pre-allocated to you, in your first semester of study.

    When you have decided on your major after passing its exposure module, you can declare your intended major in your second semester of study. You can change your major no later than the end of your 5th semester.

  • 9. Can I take a double major or double degree?

    Yes, you may apply to read a double degree or a double major subject to your meeting the admission criteria. There are specially designed double degrees that students can apply for direct admission or after 1 year of studies. Students can also design their own double degrees or double majors. Admission is based on academic performance.
  • 10. Are minor programmes offered by FASS?

    Yes, FASS offers disciplinary minors in all its subjects, as well as multidisciplinary minors like China Studies, Cultural Studies, English Studies, Gender Studies, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Religious Studies, Science, Technology & Society (STS), and Urban Studies.

  • 11. Can we do a major in FASS and a minor in another faculty?

    Yes, you may if you meet the eligibility requirements of the minor (if any).

  • 12. What happens if I realise none of the courses interest me after taking the exposure modules? Can I switch to another faculty?

    Do talk to an academic adviser at the Department or Dean's Office before making a decision. You can apply for a transfer through Office of Admissions. You will have to meet the cut-off point of the new Faculty. You will also need to check on your eligibility for tuition grant.

    For further queries on transfer, please contact the Office of Admissions.


Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences

Dean's Office, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences National University of Singapore

  • Add: The Shaw Foundation Building, Block AS7, Level 5
  • 5 Arts Link, Singapore 117570
  • Level 5 (Undergraduate) & Level 6 (Graduate)
  • Fax: +65 6777 0751
We use cookies to improve our website. By continuing to use this website, you are giving consent to cookies being used. More details…