Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences
Frequently Asked Question
Student Exchange Programme
1.What is SEP?
2. Where can I find Information on partner universities?
3. What is the difference between University,Faculty & Dept-leve partner universityl?
4. How do I know the available places iin the partner university?
5. What if the academic term in partner university does not coincide with that of NUS? Can I still apply?
6. Are there quotas for SEP placements?
7. When will SEP application commence?
8. Who is eligible to apply for SEP?
9. I am not a Singaporean, can i apply for SEP?
10. If I have gone on SEP once, can I still apply again?
11. When is the best time for me to go for SEP?
12. What should I do, if I want to go for SEP in the 6th semester?
13. Will my graduation be delayed?
14. What are some of the financial assistance available for SEP?
15. How much will it cost to go on SEP?
16. How do I apply for SEP?
17. I have problems in OPAS, who should I ask?
18. How do i find information to complete my tentative study plan for each university?
19. Should i disclose the form of financial award that I currently received in my SEP application?
20. How will I know the outcome of my SEP application?
21. What do I do upon accepting the internal offer?
22. If I am a scholarship holder, what sort of orginial certificate of Financial Resource should I obtain?
23. If my parents or relatives are sponsoring me for SEP, will it be possible to offer other forms of financial support such as fixed deposits etc?
24. How long will it take before I hear from the partner universities?
25. How does the admin fee apply to my SEP application?
26. Do I have to apply for leave of absence for my SEP
27. I have been rejected for SEP. Can I lodge an appeal?
28. I have asked for an SEP period of one academic year but was only allocated one semester. May I appeal or ask for an extension?
Module Reporting Process for Overseas modules Read
29. How do I get approval for the modules that I intend to read at the partner university?
30 . What sort of grade must I achieve for my overseas modules in order to transfer the credits back to NUS?
31. Am I restricted to reading overseas modules that are similar to those modules offered in NUS?
32. May I read a module in the partner university and map it to a GEM module to fulfill my general education
33. May I map and read an exposure module while on exchange?
34. Whom can I approach if the overseas module is of a discipline not offered by NUS?
35. What is FASS general guideline on the equivalencies of
credit with external universities in terms of SEP? Other
universities have different credit system, how do I know if the overseas module is the same as a 4 MC NUS
36. Also, the partner university allows us to read only 3 modules a semester, but NUS requires us to read 5
modules a semester. I will be 2 modules short when I
return and it will be very taxing to read 7 modules in a semester. Can I read more than the 3 modules allowed
while on exchange?
37. Can I have another example of credit equivalencies between a partner university and NUS?
38. Is it possible to read overseas modules and have them count towards my minor?
39. I belong to the Mother Tongue Bonus Programme (MTBP); can overseas modules be used to fulfill MTBP requirements?
40. How many S/U modules can I read while on exchange?
41. If I do not map my modules prior to my exchange, can I still get them approved after I return from my exchange?
42. Is credit transfer automatic?
43. It has been a while since I have returned to NUS but I have yet to received my transcript. What can I do?
44. How do I go about transferring credits?
45. What is the maximum number of credits I can transfer from my SEP?
46. How do I apply for transfer of credits after I return from SEP?
47. How long does it take for credit transfer to be completed and reflected in my GAPS
48 What sort of grades must I achieve on my overseas
modules before I can transfer credits?
49. Can module read overseas on a 'Pass/Fail' option have its credit transferred?
50. What about CAP? How do the modules taken overseas affect my CAP?