News & Events
15 - 19 July 2018
27 & 29 March 2018
A Public Lecture on Street Art by Prof Alison Young, in collaboration with Yale-NUS (Urban Studies) and the ArtScience Museum – More details to follow!
1 Feb 2018
16 November 2017
7 September 2017
17 August 2017
19 April 2017
6 April 2017
9 March 2017
10 Febuary 2017
18 January 2017
7 November 2016
20 October 2016
14 June 2016
9 June 2016
12 - 13 May 2016
2 March 2016
22 - 23 February 2016
27 January 2016
The Global Urban Studies Cluster, under the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASS), National University of Singapore (NUS), is an initiative to promote interdisciplinary work on urban territories and processes in the humanities and social sciences. In addition to providing a space for urban studies research within FASS, the cluster seeks to foster collaborative research with different faculties in the university and with other international universities and research institutions.
Previously known as the Cities Cluster, the Global Urban Studies Cluster includes but is not limited to the study of cities and urban processes in Asia.
The “global” scope of the cluster encompasses:
- Global and world cities research on advanced producer service linkages and associated transnational networks
- Social, economic and political networks incorporating cities that do not appear on world/global cities maps
- Historical work on transnational and global urban connections (including from eras before academic social scientists became interested in globalization, transnationalism etc.)
- The city (and other urban units of analysis) in comparative perspective at a variety of spatial scales and historical timeframes
- Postcolonial urban scholarship and the associated push for a “more global” (i.e. less Euro-American-centred) urban studies
- Issues of extended urbanization, operational landscapes and their planetary ecological implications.
- Methodology, and the diverse modes of “doing” urban studies
These themes are promoted through the various activities that we organize such as seminars, workshops, forums and conferences. Through these activities, we seek to bring together faculty members from different disciplines with shared interests in cities and urban transformation as well as academics from other relevant institutions to network and engage in intellectual discussion.
Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences
National University of Singapore
The Shaw Foundation Building, Block AS7, Level 6
5 Arts Link, Singapore 117570
Global Urban Studies Cluster
Tel : (65) 6601 2306
Fax : (65) 67794662
Details and photos of our events can also be found on the Global Urban Studies Cluster Blog.