in ContexT SUMMER SCHOOL
Hosted by the Department of Southeast Asian Studies at NUS in cooperation with the International Alliance of Research Universities Global Summer Program (IARU GSP), this International Residential Summer School on Southeast Asia which is also offered under the NUS Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences FASSTrack Asia Summer School is designed to provide students with the opportunity to live, study, and travel together, making it a valuable learning experience that extends beyond normal classroom-related activities.
Southeast Asia in Context is a five-week exploration of Southeast Asia’s geographical, historical and cultural diversity. This course takes advantage of Singapore’s strategic position in offering a unique blend of classroom instruction at NUS campus with hands-on fieldwork in Cambodia and Thailand or Indonesia. The lecturers are experienced teachers and researchers of Southeast Asia, who will explore themes such as Southeast Asian religion, archaeology, rural development, politics and regional integration.
The highlight of this course is the 10-day fieldtrip to Myanmar or Indonesia where students will be exposed to local cultures and will be engaged in on-site lectures by both the course instructors and local experts. The fieldtrip includes visits to magnificent ancient temples, rural agricultural communities, war memorials and a fair sampling of local village life that is well off the usual tourist track.
- Study at NUS, a world-class university in Singapore - a cosmopolitan hub of Asia
- 10 day field trip to Myanmar or Indonesia
- Local Singapore field trips
- Experiential learning outside classroom
- Language studies for in-depth field trip immersion (non-IARU and NUS students only)
- On-campus residential college experience
- Study & live with NUS and international students from overseas partner universities
- Social Events – Welcome Session, Heritage tour, Fireside Chats & Farewell Dinner
- Financial aids & subsidies available to NUS students (T&C apply)
Back to Previous Page