Complete and pass at least four (4) modules or 16 modular credits (MCs) which include:
Two (2) required modules:
- SE5151 Approaches to the Study of Southeast Asia (4MCs)
- SE6770 Graduate Research Seminar (4MCs)
- Two (2) elective modules, of which:
A maximum of 1 module (equivalent to 5MCs) may be at level 4000
- The remaining module must be at level 5000 or 6000.
Optional: Up to two (2) Independent Study modules (ISM) - SE5660 and/or SE6660
Note: Students should discuss with their supervisors on the relevant modules they need to take.
|English Language Requirement
- Some students may be required to take the Diagnostic English Test (DET) to determine English proficiency. (Selected students will be notified in their offer of admission letter.)
- Depending on their DET results, students may be required to take a Graduate English module(s) or be exempted from taking the module(s) altogether.
- Students who are required to take the Graduate English Module(s) must obtain at least a 'C' grade in the module(s) at intermediate level within 2 years of their candidature.
- Graduate English modules are not counted towards the 16 MCs required for the M.A. degree coursework requirements.
- Students must complete and submit a thesis within the maximum period of candidature.
- A M.A. thesis should not exceed 30, 000 words (including footnotes but excluding appendices, bibliography, maps, charts, statistical tables, graphs, illustrations, etc.).
|Minimum Grade Requirements
- Students whose Cumulative Average Point (CAP) falls below 3.00 (but ≥ 2.50) in any semester will be issued an academic warning.
- Students whose Cumulative Average Point (CAP) falls below 3.00 for 2 consecutive semesters will be placed on probation.
- Students whose Cumulative Average Point (CAP) falls below 3.00 for the third consecutive semester will be issued a letter of dismissal and denied re-admission.
- Students whose Cumulative Average Point (CAP) falls below 2.50 in any semester will be placed on probation.
- Students whose Cumulative Average Point (CAP) falls below 2.50 for 2 consecutive semesters will be issued a letter of dismissal.
|Award of Degree
A student will be recommended for award of degree if he/she has met the following requirements:
- Complete and passed four (4) modules (refer to coursework requirements above)
- Obtained a minimum Cumulative Average Point (CAP) of 3.00;
- Passed the MA thesis;
- Where applicable, obtained at least grade 'C' in Graduate English Module(s) (refer to English language requirement above)