POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIPS (Teaching)
Invitation to Apply
The Department of Sociology, National University of Singapore, has launched a scheme called Postdoctoral Fellowships (Teaching) whereby appointees are required to provide teaching support for the department in addition to research. The Department of Sociology has two such positions which it would like to fill. The areas of expertise that the department prefers for these two positions will be among the following: sociology of deviance, law and crime; migration, sociology (anthropology) of the environment; social psychology; science and technology; globalization and modernization.
The successful candidate will be someone who holds a PhD degree (or is awaiting conferment) and has research interests and expertise in one or more of the above stated areas. Preference will be given to a candidate who can teach one or some of the course themes mentioned above. More information on the modules offered by the Department of Sociology can be found at http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/soc/. The successful candidate will also get to spend time on researching to publish.
Terms and Conditions
The terms and conditions for the Postdoctoral Fellowship (PDF) (Teaching) are as follows:
- Contract to be awarded beginning from July 2014 tenable for up to two years.
- An Annual Base Salary of up to S$66,000 per year.
- An allowance of S$500 a month as contribution towards housing expenses for non-citizens (i.e. non-Singaporeans) and their spouses who do not own any property in Singapore and whose spouses are not in receipt of any form of housing benefits from their Singapore employers.
- Singapore citizens and permanent residents are eligible for provident fund benefits.
- Travel Assistance, payable once only, as follows:
The above travel assistance is a contribution towards expenses incurred by the appointee and his/her dependants in re-locating to Singapore. Such expenses refer to costs for travel, packing, transportation and insurance of personal and professional effects as well as settling-in expenses.
- $2,000 for the Postdoctoral Fellow
- $2,000 for spouse
- $1,000 for each eligible child, subject to a maximum of 3 children. Children must be less than 18 years of age and receiving full-time education.
The travel allowance is contingent upon the Postdoctoral Fellow's completion of his/her initial two-years’ contract. In the event that the appointee does not fulfill the initial two-years’ contract, the appointee shall be liable to refund the University a proportionate amount of the travel assistance granted to him/her and his/her dependants on appointment.
- Foreign PDFs who are granted Singapore Permanent Residence will continue to receive an allowance of S$500 a month as contribution towards housing expenses. The allowance will cease once they acquire Singapore citizenship.
- Medical benefits in accordance with the Medical Benefit Plan.
- Vacation leave of 28 days per calendar year.
- The balance of time spent between research and teaching for each PDF is about 50-50. Each PDF can expect to teach up to 1.5 modules per academic year.
All application dossiers, including details about publications, research interests and teaching areas, as well as the names of two academic referees, should be submitted by 31 March 2014. The search will continue until an appointment is made.
Email correspondence and attachments should be sent to: email@example.com
Visit our websites at http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/
for information on the Faculty, and http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/soc/
for information on the Department of Sociology and the undergraduate modules on offer.