Entry and Graduation Requirements
For admission as a candidate for the Graduate Diploma in Social Work, a person must be a graduate of this University or such graduate of another university as a Senate may approve, and must have obtained either:
- a Bachelor's degree in Social Work; acceptable Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test scores (the University Code is 0677), taken no earlier than five years before the date of application (NUS/NTU/SMU graduates are not required to submit the GRE score);
- A NUS Bachelor's degree with Minor in Human Services; or
- Bachelor's degree with acceptable Graduate Record Examination (GRE) taken no earlier than five years before the date of application (NUS/NTU/SMU graduates are not required to submit the GRE score) and at least one year of either
- (a) work in the social services or
- (b) voluntary social service experience*; or
- other qualifications and experience subject to approval by the Board of Graduate Studies.
*A candidate must submit evidence of his/her voluntary social service experience in the form of a letter from the voluntary organization stating the period and description of the voluntary social service experience and some form of evaluation of the candidate's performance together with the application.
English Language Proficiency
Applicants whose native tongue or medium of university instruction is not English should submit their TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) score as evidence of their proficiency in the English language.
The following minimum TOEFL score is required:
- 85 for the internet-based test (with a minimum score of 22 for the writing section); or
- 580 for the paper-based test; or
- 237 for the computer-based test.
Alternatively, an IELTS result of 6.0 is required.
TOEFL or IELTS results are only valid for two years after the test and the validity should not expire before the beginning of the application period for the coursework programme.
The Educational Testing Service (ETS) has indicated that score reports are valid only if our University receives them directly from ETS.
The Faculty's TOEFL institution code is 9081.
Please refer to http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/prospective/grad/ for general information on the application periods, application materials, fees and etc.
Students Admitted from AY2005/06
Complete and pass:
- 4 Essential modules: SWD5102, SWD5103, SWD5104 and SWD5105 1 Elective module Social Work Practicum: SWD5120
- Obtain a minimum Cumulative Average Point (CAP) of 2.25.