Master of Social Sciences (Social Work by Research)
- an NUS Honours degree (second class and above) or equivalent (e.g., a four-year Bachelors degree with at least an average grade of B) in social work; or
- in exceptional cases, a Bachelors degree in social work with at least two years of relevant work experience, subject to approval by the Faculty and Board of Graduate Studies, on a case-by-case basis; and
- TOEFL/IELTS, where applicable.
English Language Proficiency
Applicants whose native tongue or medium of university instruction is not in English should submit the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) score as evidence of their proficiency in the English language.
The following minimum TOEFL score is required:
- 85 for the internet-based test (with a minimum score of 22 for the writing section); or
- 580 for the paper-based test; or
- 237 for the computer-based test.
Alternatively, an IELTS result of 7.0 is required.
TOEFL and IELTS are only valid for two years after the test and the validity should not expire before the beginning of the application period for the research programme.
The Educational Testing Service (ETS) has indicated that score reports are valid only if our University receives them directly from ETS.
The Faculty's TOEFL institution code is 9081.
Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
All applicants (except graduates from the National University of Singapore, Nanyang Technological University and Singapore Management University) must submit the GRE General Test report.
The GRE Board policy states that scores are reportable for five years and score reports are valid only if our University receives them directly from Educational Testing Service. The University Code is 0677.
Please refer to http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/prospective/grad/ for general information on the application periods, application materials, fees and etc.
M.Soc.Sci (by research)
Master of Soc.Sci
Students Admitted from Semester I, AY2004/05
1. Complete and pass:
- 4 modules (at least 75% of the total modular credit (MC) requirements must be at level 5000 or 6000, including an essential module SW6770).
- Where applicable, obtained a satisfactory grade in the graduate English course at intermediate level
2. Obtain a minimum Cumulative Average Point (CAP) of 3.00.